Dos and Don'ts
These eco-friendly tips and suggestions maximise the environmental performance of food waste disposers:
- Don't pour oils and grease down the drain. They can clog and damage the sewer system. Instead, collect fats in a container and then throw the container into the dustbin.
- Don't try to grind large amounts of food at one time.
- Use cold water when grinding food waste. Using hot water wastes energy.
- Run water down the drain for several seconds after grinding is complete, to flush waste and keep debris from settling in the plumbing system.
- Save and grind used lemons and other citrus fruit peels to freshen up and disinfect the disposer, naturally.
Things to consider...
- Planning meals, then cooking only what is needed helps contain waste.
- Saving and using leftovers helps to minimise waste.